When you mix an athlete, a nerd, beer, and good ingredients this is what you get.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Steak Cakes Benedict



   Last weekend, we had the pleasure of having my old roommate and good friend, Tim Delp, stay with us - stay with us is said loosely, I'm not sure he made it back a single night but his luggage was surely in our place. We decided to do a Sunday brunch and get a few of the guys together before he left. Tim, Kyle, and Jack joined Katie and I for brunch. We had made steak tip skewers the night before and we had some leftovers. I've been on this "cakes" fit ever since the crab Chopped@Home so I decided to make basically the same recipe as the crab cakes but with steak, cheddar more onions in place of the crab and the grapefruit. Other than that it was basically the same (plus a splash or two of the Budweiser I was drinking to get the consistency right).


   Instead of just pan frying them, I decided to step it up a bit and slice hollow rings of red bell pepper and stuff the cakes inside, then flour and fry them. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the edge of the pepper poking out under the egg. The rest is a simple Benedict as described earlier on the blog. Katie said, "I think we need to start a restaurant called 'Cakes' and serve only things like this." I had made a bbq chicken cake with a bleu cheese tartar earlier in the week. I guess they came out pretty well. More cakes to come I'm sure...

1 comment:

  1. looks awesome. congrats I have to do that! love the site!

    ReplyDelete