When you mix an athlete, a nerd, beer, and good ingredients this is what you get.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Chopped@Home 4: Lump Crab, Grapefruit, Shitake Mushrooms, Bran Flakes



Lump Crab, Grapefruit, Shitake, and Bran...


Immediately thought of some type of seafood ravioli. But then I was craving crab cakes. I decided to do commit a major Food Network faux pas and serve "crab two ways." I had one hour to prepare both, this is how it went:


Ravioli


First thing I did was make the pasta (finally, Nolan). Water, flour, salt done. The filling was ricotta, crab, shitake, provolone, red pepper flakes, and a drop of truffle oil. The filling could have used a little more flavor, I suggest garlic and some salt and black pepper but the taste was still OK. I used a ravioli press to press two layers of pasta together with some filling in the middle. I rubbed an egg wash in between the layers of pasta to make sure we didn't have any of the filling leak out.


I threw together a cream sauce with some parm and tarragon to top off the ravioli.




Crab Cakes


Crab, mayo, cherry peppers, onion, splash of pickle juice, crushed Ritz crackers, lots of crushed bran flakes, grapefruit juice, garlic powder, cayenne, and an egg. Mixed all of that in a bowl, formed the cakes, coated them in flour and pan fried them in hot canola oil for 3 minutes on each side. Pulled them and then gave them each a dollop of grapefruit tartar (mayo, pickle juice, grapefruit juice). These crab cakes were, in the words of Guy Fieri, "out of bounds." Which is a good thing, apparently. The bran gave them a little sweetness that balanced out the heat from the cherry peppers. Definitely going back to this recipe.


Finished with 10 minutes to spare... but my ravioli were way overdone since I was focusing on a million things at once. Have to step it up next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment