When you mix an athlete, a nerd, beer, and good ingredients this is what you get.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Paddy's Corned Beef: The morning after

Ouch. Too. Much. Beer and Baileys and Whiskey...


I woke up this morning with a headache and an idea. I'd never made corned beef hash before, but I've been told half the reason you make corned beef and cabbage is for the leftovers, and corned beef hash sounded like something I just had to try.


I'll give you a quick recap of how we made the meal the night before. McKinnon's Market in Davis Square was the obvious choice for the traditional gray-cured Irish Corned Beef. We got a 6.5 lb Brisket, threw it in a big roasting pan with three cans of Guiness, and put it in the oven for 4 hours. About 2 hours in, I added 6 chopped potatoes, 2 quartered onions and two purple-top turnips left over from Chopped@Home. With an hour to go, I sliced up a whole bag of carrots and threw those in, and with 30 minutes left I added a head of cabbage, cut into eighths. We served the dinner to 5 of our not-so-sober friends and it actually came out a lot better than I thought it would.


So on to this morning. We had plenty of leftovers of the whole meal, but I only used the beef and potatoes for the hash. I started with a finely chopped onion (about a cup) and sauteed it in butter until translucent. Then I cut up the beef into tiny cubes (about 1 1/2 cups) and threw that in the pan. I roughly chopped up the leftover potatoes into about 1/2 inch pieces and threw those in last. I added an extra pad of butter, spread out the hash across the pan and pressed it down with a metal spatula. The trick is to leave it to sizzle and get brown for about 5 minutes before you touch it. Then flip everything over, press into the pan with the spatula again and let it sizzle again. 


It took about 15 minutes total to get brown and crispy, and while it cooked, I threw some bacon on and fried up some eggs. Topped it off with my famous bloody marys (the recipe for which will probably never end up on the blog) and by the time we finished eating, we were actually feeling like real people. 


"This is the best breakfast I've ever eaten." -Anthony Rotio

No comments:

Post a Comment