When you mix an athlete, a nerd, beer, and good ingredients this is what you get.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Spinach Swiss Crepes



Apologize about the image quality. I was a little too excited to try this one to take a good picture.

This morning I invited a special someone over for breakfast before work (strange date but just go with it). I'm not a big breakfast guy, breakfast to me has always been functional, I eat eggs for the protein after a lift and because they're usually the best source available at breakfast, I don't like the taste of eggs. I know, blasphemy, but it's true. I knew this girl is big on eggs so I figured I could suck it up and come up with something that we'll both like. I make a pretty mean crepe thanks to Gram and Pop-pop's Manicotti recipe (coming soon) but I didn't want a sweet crepe like the ones usually served for breakfast.

I googled "savory breakfast crepes" to find a base recipe, something to work with - but they all sounded like complete failures or a "brunch crepe" which is an easy out for saying, "I made a dinner crepe but served it for breakfast." I wanted better than that so I went where I should have went first to look for inspiration: my fridge. I saw some heavy cream, swiss, and some frozen spinach that I had bought to make Mom's Quiche recipe but never got around to it. That's when it clicked, I'm going to put that Quiche in a crepe so here's how it happened:

Original recipe calls for bacon. The market was out. I was not happy. Yes. It's true. rotio.food is about to have a vegetarian breakfast dish where spinach is the star of the show. What is this world coming to...

Ok so for the crepes, 3 eggs to 1/2 cup flour to 1/2 cup milk, a pinch of salt and a drop of veg oil. Whisk it really well, the last thing you want is a lumpy crepe. Ladle about a quarter cup into a lightly greased crepe pan at medium to medium-high heat. Swirl the pan to get even coverage of the batter. About 45 seconds on each side then pull it - they cook very quickly. Set it on some newspaper or a paper bag while you make the rest of them.

Once the crepes are done (or during, if you have a helper like I did) scramble some eggs with some spinach and whatever spices you want. I think we stayed simple and just did salt and pepper. This will be your filling, feel free to add mushrooms, tomatoes, or BACON like I wanted to.

The thing that put this over the top for me was the sauce. I started with a creme sauce like in the Farfalle recipe and added about an eighth of an onion, minced; a slice of Swiss cheese; and salt and pepper. It resulted in a nice thick sauce with a very subtle Swiss flavor. Stuffed the crepes, drizzled some of the sauce over them and served. This ended up being one of the best breakfasts I've had, and there was NO MEAT. I'm kind of embarrassed. Look for me coming in hot with some meat heavy recipes to make up for this. My inner carnivore is about to start raging so I'll cut this short and go eat the leftover Redbones upstairs and drink a Keystone. Might make a pizza tonight, keep an eye out.

Also, I added a few more pictures that I found on my phone to some older posts so check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment