When you mix an athlete, a nerd, beer, and good ingredients this is what you get.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Farfalle di Farwell



I've been getting some requests to be a little more specific with the instructions to make the things I post so here we go.

So I'm in a weekly Cornhole league. Before you have the same reaction as my pops ("Never tell me that again, son!"), this is Cornhole for those of you who don't know. So Wyatt and I ("The Mercenaries") had our first big win tonight over team "Caitlin and Shawna"... by forfeit. So to celebrate our epic victory, we slugged about ten beers and I made my way home to Farwell. I was hungry when I got here so I decided to make whatever I could with the few ingredients I still had in the pantry. I had about half a pound of Farfalle left so I thought I'd start with that and set it to boil.

I was in the mood for a little bit of crisp on my pasta so I decided that when it was aldente, I'd mince up a quarter of an onion and a clove of garlic and saute them together with the pasta in a bit of olive oil (top left/right images). But that's boring as hell alone so I thought about sauce options.

Looking around, I found some interesting things and decided to make a bastard child of a French bechamel cream sauce with some Italian ingredients mixed in. First step in a bechamel sauce is a roux, which is a fancy way of saying throw one part butter and one part flour in a pot and whisk the hell out of it on medium heat (left middle image).

Since this is going to be a light sauce you want to keep the color of the roux pretty light. As soon as the color starts getting the slightest bit brown you start whisking in light cream (right bottom).

Here's where the Italian comes in. As it starts to thicken (think coating the back of a spoon), add two tablespoons of red sauce - if you have some gravy premade use that or else resort to a jar of pasta sauce if you have to like I did. Lastly, throw in a few small basil leaves, chopped, and a handful of parmagiano-reggiano. Props to Julia for having a basil plant growing next to the sink. Let it all come together, nice and thick, and pour it over the pasta. Give it a toss and serve (bottom left). That's it. Not too bad for a first run. This might have to be my go to pregame meal to carb up (along with a few Bud's at Coogan's) to take on reigning champions "Bags Deep" next Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. I'm sad i missed this one. I love the new header btw!

    ReplyDelete